Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Hubble and Pastels

(This was made by Tejus, a 5th grader)

We made these beauties last year, but I never got around to sharing them.

I really enjoyed the IMAX movie about the Hubble Telescope a couple of year ago, and knew we should make some art related to the striking images. I checked out a book from the library, and photocopied lots of the pictures. Yes, a bit expensive, but worth it!!

I shared a few techniques for applying the soft pastels to the black paper- such as using a torn edge to get a crisp and then blended edge of color...

Or using a light colored dotted line to layout the composition...

We weren't trying to copy the image exactly, only to be inspired by it...







I think it was a great to have a science tie-in and beautiful art work too!


Make it a Wonderful Day!

11 comments:

  1. This is wonderful. Thanks for the inspiration for year 4's here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - another brilliant idea! I love what you come up with! These are beautiful - your students are so lucky to have you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so amazed and inspired by what you teach your students. I have been teaching for 36 years and rarely stumble across an art teacher such as yourself who teaches art with such passion!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Truly amazing!! Even though I'm not in 4th grade I would love to try this myself!

    xo
    cortnie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you from my students... I'd love to see your artwork!

      Delete
  5. Tkx 4 showing the great work from your art students. I passed it on before I read your copyright. Please forgive me. However, if u can't, I understand and will take all of it off my Pinterest if U want. My email is drlipscombe@hotmail.com.

    Derek Lipscombe(supply teacher)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Posting to pinterest is great! (I use Pinterest all the time.) :D

      Delete
  6. I just did this project with my 5th graders. Thanks so much for the inspiration:)
    http://zamoranoarts.blogspot.com/2013/05/space-messy-messy-space.html

    ReplyDelete