Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Pillow Case


You probably already know about the Million Pillow Case Challenge. You make a pillow case (or a bunch!) and then take them to your local participating quilt shop. Foster kids and others in need will love this little touch of love from you! Once you make your donation, report back to the Million people so they can track all of the donations and reach the goal of a million handmade hugs!


(The photo is one I made recently.... You may remember the fabric- a great thrift store find of mine a while back! Just wish the horses were running the other direction...
Note to self- pay attention to that next time!)
Maybe I'm the last one to know, but I LOVED the "tube" or "sausage" technique I learned about- you pin all the fabrics together, roll it up, stitch, and then the inside of the cuff is as nicely finished as the outside, all in one seam. The side seam is finished using a French seam, so no raw edges anywhere.
I followed these video instructions:
September 11th is a National Day of Service, and our church is participating. One of our projects will be pillow cases, so I'm practicing! (These are so fun and quick to make, I think I'll make a bunch for Christmas too! At least some for my grands...)

Make it a Wonderful Day!

3 comments:

  1. How lovely. And what a gtreat tute too. I had never heard of the sausage pillow before, what a great idea. Thanks for sharing x

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cool method! Even I could do it...maybe! Thanks for sharing, Mom & I love, love, love that cowboy fabric. Very cute!
    -Kate

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stephanie, this is a really cute pillowcase. Our guild is making pillowcases too. I haven't tried my hand at one yet...don't know why I'm so intimidated by them ;-) Hope your moving, unpacking and remodeling is going well. I think of you when I'm unpacking a box or two ;-)

    ReplyDelete