Monday, January 11, 2010

Printed People

Art Club's next project is Printed Portraits. Silly ones.

We talked about the difference between realistic and stylized artwork. And a bit about cubism too. I loved the answers I got when I asked the kids, "What is a print?" One boy explained, "You push a button on your computer and in a few seconds you get a print." Boy, did I feel old....

Working from a sketch to get down their ideas, they drew portrait parts on foam plates and then cut them out. (Many kids these days haven't had much practice with scissors, so we worked on those a bit- rough cutting first, using the throat instead of the tips, safety, direction of the cut, etc.)

They used a dull pencil to add (actually subtract!) texture and details.


We'll print these with acrylic paints in a rainbow of bright colors-just what we need on these dark, gray, winter days!)
Make it a Wonderful Day!

2 comments:

  1. This is a fabulous idea. I am a 6th grade teacher and like to incorporate a lot of art projects into class, especially in social studies. Could you give me a litte more info. about how this is done. I am Kathy and my email is livetorun@aol.com.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want more info too! I LOVE this!!I'm so glad I found your blog!! - tjhester22@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete