Sunday, August 30, 2009

Pet Portraits

My Art Club Classes will be starting again soon! But until then, I thought I'd share one of last year's projects: Pet Portraits.
I teach after school art at three elementary schools, with about 125 students in 7 classes. For this project, the artists first identified the shapes they saw in the animal photo, and then they sketched with pencil. We used oil pastels, blending with a turpentine substitute, to shade and color.
Some of the kids brought in photos of their own pets, but most used photos I've collected over the years from calendars and animal advocate publications like Best Friends and The Humane Society.







(Okay, some of these wouldn't really make very good pets.....)






Others are animals kids would LOVE to have, but a drawing will have to do for now...



I love how they each develop their own style- this artist always chooses lots of color!






Love the polka dot background on this one...










This one of a parrot includes the hair on the arm of the person holding it...


When they finished these, they could do an abstract based on an animal.



Aren't they wonderful artists? Grades 1 through 6





4 comments:

  1. They really are good! I love kids art, the simplicity of it and the colours. Your students are really talented and I suspect their teacher has a lot to do with it! Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd love to have a dozen or so of those to hang on the wall in my family room - they are all great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I especially like the abstract pieces and the cat with the all black background.
    -Kate

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are so amazing! And its mostly because their Art Club teacher is awesome. Makes me miss Art Club so much!
    -Vivian

    ReplyDelete